Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I love bikes!!!!

First of all....Happy Birthday Amanda!! Careful, your catching upto me. Especially since I've decided I'm not having anymore.

It hit me last night how much of a bike geek I've become. I was installing a new chain and cassette on my bike. After I was done I must've sat there for 10-15 minutes just staring at how shiny they were. It got me to thinking about how much cycling has changed me. It's helped me stop drinking. I wouldn't say I was an alcoholic but I would say that I had a problem and was well on my way to alcoholism. Cycling gave me something to do whenever I wanted a drink.
It gives me goals to work towards in the form of races. I'm more than certain that I'm not going to win any of these races but that's o.k. It's not why I race. I do it because it gives me a chance to push myself and to hang out with like minded people. It's also help me get over a pretty high level of shyness. Around my friends and family I won't shut up. Put me around people I don't know and I clam up like the sphinx. Unless that is I'm around other cyclists. I'll sit there and talk bikes and ask a million questions without any problems.

That's just a few of the benefits. When people ask me how much something costs as far as bikes are concerned they usually look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them, but as far as I'm concerned I've gotten way more back from riding than I've put into it financially.

Sorry for the cheesy post. Yall have a great day and have fun.

3 comments:

Danielle Musto said...

Thanks again for the good trail directions. On our way to Winston we were thinking that we should have just stopped in to your work to say "hi"!

Next time!!

Unknown said...

More power to you for your choices. I am sorry now that I wrote my latest post on my love of beer.
I have to admit to suffering from a Bike-addiction too. It is my favorite passion (maybe equal to music) (and my family; had to say that!) and yet it is my great source of frustration. Never enough time to ride as often as I would like and few people to ride with (that aren't superstar racers like Danielle!). So, like you, when I get a chance to share my interest with someone, it is a great time. Whether its here in cyberspace or at the local shop, I geek out over bikes. My wife has no interest (but is very supportive) and my lazy son who won't ride anymore doesn't care, so it is a lonely obsession.
Anyway, I guess I'm saying I understand.

allan said...

Brian-don't be sorry. It's my deal. Most of my friends and family still enjoy beer and I tell them not to let me stop them. It used to get to me but now it honestly doesn't. Plus it makes me the automatic DD which helps everyone.