Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Gathering


Put this guy on a mountainbike and it's pretty close to what I looked like Saturday afternoon.



It's been a little bit since I posted here. Oops. The weather has been awesome the past few days and I've been riding. A lot. I've also been working a lot, so there hasn't been much time. Anyway, enough excuses. This past Friday I packed up and headed out to Cove Creek Campground in the PNF for The Pisgah Gathering. A weekend of riding,camping,fire and debauchery. I had read about other gatherings in the MTBR NC forum and they always sounded like a blast. I figured that it'd be a good chance to meet up with some like minded folks,hang out and do some riding. Got there early friday afternoon and set up camp. I met Jody, who was also setting up and we went out on a short ride. Got back to the campsite and ate a PB&J and started mingling. I met Brado,M-U-M,Dave, Darren,The Tomato(who makes a fine fire) and several other people whose names escape me. Woke up the next morning and got ready and headed out for a ride with Peter. He wanted to check out some of the stuff that he was thinking might be on this years PMBAR route. After 3.5 hours of what felt like 95% uphill , I was cooked. My right leg was cramping really bad and I couldn't hold down any food or drink. I told Peter that I was headed back to camp and reallllyyyyy slowly headed back. It ended up being about a 5 hour day. Except for the throwing up and cramping it was a blast. I do need to work on some stuff before Burn though. I DO NOT need to be cramping up there and it'll be way warmer for that.


After I was back in camp for about an hour I managed to get some food and water down and felt a lot better. I had to work the next morning so I decided to go ahead and head home. The weekend was most definitely a blast. The riding out there is awesome and I need to stop being so lazy and do the extra driving to ride out there instead of going to Bent Creek all the time.

So, thanks to Brado and everybody that put this thing on. I will definitely do my best to be at the fall Gathering.

Later yall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sure would like to be there riding right now (or even in two weeks; damn!). We had great weather here the past week and I got a couple good rides in, but now it looks like winter may be returning.
P.S. When I first read your title, I thought you might be giving a review of the latest disc "Home" by the band "The Gathering". Another one to look for now!